As I said after I first bought it, it is a poly/rayon/spandex blend, which I thought required a poly dye, but I had also been told that spandex takes dye for natural fabrics well, and I had received mixed accounts of which kind of dye is appropriate for rayon. I admit my own experience with dying fabrics is limited so far, and my most successful times were with the help of an expert. I really should have talked to him before doing this. I bought only poly dye.
But first, I learned that an 11 gallon pot isn't big enough. How is that possible? Look at this thing!
|Okay, this picture doesn't give a full idea of the scale, but it's really big.|
I put the fabric I was going to dye into the pot, then filled it with water using a pitcher because it was going to be very heavy once it was full. I then pulled the fabric back out so that I could dissolve the dye in the water. I did it in this order because I didn't want to risk putting in too much water for the amount of fabric and making a terrible mess, and the dye packet said to pre-wet the fabric anyway.
|I bought this at JoAnn|
|This shows the dye packet beginning to dissolve|
Once the dye was fully dissolved, I added the fabric, and began to stir. We waited over 45 minutes for it to come to a boil, then Jon shifted it to be on two burners, and it finally got going.
|You can't tell, but that's a tent pole I'm using to stir. I didn't have anything else long enough.|
And here it is just before going into the dryer...mocking me.
|After the fabric was dry: the top is the fabric I didn't even try to dye, and the bottom I did. They are technically slightly different colors, but it's only noticeable in person with the two side by side.|
Following to the Dreamstress's directions, I used one of my paint brushes to dye the edges of my boot, then used the sponge to spread dye over the larger areas. I had to use the brush more than I expected due to the number of seams and little details on these boots. It took a lot of dye to get it to really show, and this is the result:
I have mentioned in the past that I don't react well to failure, so there may have been a bit of a meltdown, but my husband was remarkably understanding about that, and a couple of episodes of anime later, I was doing much better. I even think these projects may still be salvageable, but as the title says, it was really NOT a good day to dye!