Google+ Followers

Sunday, August 9, 2015

I Love Mail

I have received lots of mail this week. It wasn't exactly fan mail. It was all stuff I ordered, but I like that too. Some of it was samples of different types of neoprene in preparation for my Batgirl costume. The artist's sketches say the jacket should be leather, but to match the color of the jacket and pants, they would also have to be leather. That's not out of the question, but it could get expensive, and I wouldn't be able to just take things in to get the fit right. You can't sew leather until you're ready to commit permanently to that seam line because the holes are permanent. That means I would have to be a good girl and sew a muslin and get it perfect before making the real thing, and I don't really like to do that. What can I say? I'm a little lazy.

So we're considering neoprene. It wouldn't look like leather, but it would have good structure and be comfortable and more forgiving to sew. But it is also fairly pricey. We'll see how this goes. Some of the samples we bought have been ruled out for sure, but others are still on the table. There's also still the question of color because even the artist doesn't seem sure if her costume is blue or purple (where it's not black and yellow).

I also really want these boots. They're pretty expensive if I only wanted them for the costume, but I also love hiking, so if they're actually good, I would use them for that.

My most exciting mail this week was from Tutu.com. I can't say enough about how happy I am with their services. I'm new to making ballet costumes, and pancake tutus (or Russian classical tutus) are especially complicated, so I chose to buy one of their costume kits. I wanted the bottom few layers of the tutu to be pink because this is for the Mary Poppins costume, so I contacted them about that special order, and they agreed to do that for no extra charge. Then they apparently filled my order and shipped it off immediately because I placed my order by phone on a Friday and received it the immediately following Monday!

And their costume kits really do come with everything you need for the tutu and bodice--the different fabrics, notions, patterns, and a whole book of instructions! I'm on page 23 of the instruction book, and I intend to finish it before actually cutting anything because it walks you through every single step in the tutu making process as well as making the bodice. I do wish there were a few more pictures, but even without them, it's very detailed.

Hoop boning for the tutu, spiral steel boning for the bodice, boning tips, hooks and eyes, 5 kinds of elastic, twill tape, etc.

Bodice fabrics: coutil lining (left), and a shiny outer fabric (right)

If you look closely, you can see the herringbone weave of the coutil.

Tutu net in pink and white, softer tulle for some of the ruffles, and power net for the tutu panty.

Patterns and instruction book.
Tutu.com has made a loyal customer out of me. I will be going to them for all future tutu-making supplies, as well as some corset-making supplies!

These also came this week:

Buttons for the Mary Poppins blouse (as well as a lot of extra for future use) from eBay seller huntr_gathr

I'll modify this Sandy Hunter pattern for the Mary Poppins blouse. The red belt I'll draft on my own.
This didn't come in the mail. It is the button loop tape and the narrow lace from the cannibalized wedding gown that I intend to use for the Marry Poppins blouse, since we're on the subject. I'll show the wider lace when I write about the project it will decorate.

I also embroidered faces on most of my felt nativity pieces this week. I didn't finish one of the Wise Men, though, because the original kit only came with really light-colored felt for the faces and hands, and I really want one of the Wise Men to be black. So I'm going to take him most of the way apart, tweak the design, and make him a black man.


I know they look a little goofy, but hopefully kids will like them. They remind me of Weebles.

Hopefully, I'll get more mail this week from Cheeptrims.com. This site has a minimum order of $65, and you have to buy any given item in large quantities--30 yards of some types of ribbon, for instance, so it's only useful if you want a lot of trim, but assuming you do, their prices are fantastic. In some cases, their prices are so good, that it is actually cheaper to buy 30 yards of something, than to buy 5 yards locally, so I just buy that much as long as I can justify ordering enough other things to make the minimum order. And the prices are so low due to ordering in bulk, not due to low quality, so I have always been happy with my purchases from them in the past. I'm excited for this order to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment