Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Head Gear (thankfully not the orthodontic kind!)

Well, this will be a short post, but I wanted to share some fun things I made toward the end of last year--my first ever mask and my first Victorian bonnet.



This didn't take too terribly long--mainly it took time for the glue to dry. Jon had the idea for the black eye rings and made and put them on for me. I like the effect. I do wish I had put a few more of the magenta feathers on. I may try to rectify that situation.



The base of this hat is just a straw gardening hat--the kind with a wide brim all the way around, but I cut it apart, cut bits off and sewed it back together a different way. (Sorry no progress photos of that, but I'm still getting used to doing that.) I then covered it in fabrics as you see. I covered a piece of buckram and sewed that onto the back to cover the edges of the pleats.



Most of this doesn't really show when I'm wearing it, but as I said in my last post, I like the insides of things to be neat. So the inside is lined with wool then velveteen because this also needed to be warm for caroling. The velveteen keeps the wool from touching my skin at all because I'm allergic, and it's also warm. The purple satin covers the raw edges of that lining. The black ruffles are just for more decoration. They are made from a decorative black tulle that I cut into strips and gathered.

2 comments:

  1. I love the mask and bonnet you made! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Soon I'll be posting a picture of Jon's mask, even though it's his work, not mine. I think it looks pretty cool.

      Delete